Friday, 18 May 2012

Red Cross Stores







I have mixed emotions on Red Cross charity stores. Compared to other op-shops they are much more expensive and I only buy from them when I find a bargain. Most items are overpriced (in my opinion) by about $5-$15.00 which is a bit of a shame... BUT, it is going to a charity so it's not as if it’s a waste of money, and I shouldn’t really complain because it’s still cheaper than retail. Red Cross has the nicest stores by far. They are always so clean and new, they never have that ‘op-shop smell’ which personally doesn’t bother me but I hear a lot of people complain about.  So if you’re thinking of giving op-shopping a try but are still slightly apprehensive I would recommend Red Cross stores.

I wouldn’t say that Red cross has particularly good or bad stock in terms of things that are fashionable, but what they do have in store is really good quality and always clean. I suppose if you think about it, the higher prices are worth it considering how much effort is put in to the service they provide. Another point I will add is that there don’t seem to be as many Red Cross stores around compared to Vinnie’s and Salvation Army so if you’re not living in a main city they could be a little harder to find.

All in all, I have found lots of really nice things in Red Cross stores, so here are some of the better ones:

The first purchase is my brown leather wallet, it was $8.00. This was a bargain; it’s a real leather wallet in good condition. I think the reason it was so cheap is because when I bought it the leather was coming away from the lining of the wallet, but I fixed easily enough with a bit of glue which only took a minute to do. Definitely worth the effort, which was minimal.

Next is this striped cardigan which I got for $8.00. Again this was very cheap in comparison to other things in store. Admittedly I don’t actually wear this as much as I would like, but I still really like it , the cream and black go with anything and the stripe pattern works well as I can still wear it with other things without it overpowering an outfit.

I bought this blue and white striped top nearly a year and a half ago and I still wear it regularly. I think what I love about it is its originality, it’s made out of a cotton knit material meaning that its warm enough to wear in winter but is still cool in summer so I can wear it year round.  I am also particularly fond of the cute collar and asymmetrical stripes. I just think they make the top really individual and I can honestly say I have never seen anything like it in a retail store.

And finally there is the lace top, which I also got for $8.00. I am quite particular about the lace I like to wear, I’m not really a fan of the lace used repeatedly by retail stores, to me it looks tacky and I prefer larger designs within the lace rather than the really dainty ones – that’s just personal preference though.  I also really like the high neckline of this top, it balances out the fact that lace is see though making it slightly more modest. Slightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...