Monday, 21 May 2012

Op-Shop D.I.Y







I would say the most important thing, if you want to become a successful op-shopper, is that you can see the potential in things. A lot of the clothes you see on the hanger look like crap. And quite often all that’s running through my mind is ‘who would even buy that in the first place?’ But you have to be able to look past all of that, otherwise you will probably come out with nothing. Something is too long – cut it and hem it. Don’t like the colour – dye it. Like the fabric print but not the cut – re-cut it: shirt dress, sleeve-less shirts, denim cut-offs.

Anyway, thought I would practice what I preach, and I bought this skirt. Silly me forgot to  take a photo before I cut it – good one! But it was exactly the same apart from it was mid-calf length. People who know me will know that I am more of a short skirt person. With that in mind I obviously wouldn’t have bought this if I didn’t think I could change the length.  I will be the first one to put up my hand and admit that I am a pretty crappy sewer, there is no way I could sew a dress or anything like that, but hems are very easy. If you can sew a straight line then you’re good to go. This skirt was only $3.00 from Vinnie’s so I thought it was worth the risk of cutting it.

Cutting it was pretty simple, I just used an old skirt that I already owned and liked the length of, drew a line a few inches below that – so there was fabric left for the hem. Then sewed it and I had a nice new $3.00 skirt. It turned out pretty well considering my lack of sewing skills. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...