Saturday, 7 July 2012

Books, Bags & Tops







If you are a regular reader of my blog then you will know that a few days ago I banned myself from op-shopping as I was buying waaaaay to much and I didn’t even have time to wear all my lovely purchases. Well the ban is over. I lasted 4 days. Pathetic really isn’t it? Oh well, I’m happy enough on my retail therapy buzz. Although in my defence, I did buy considerably less than usual. Only two tops, but in saying that tops are probably the thing I need least..

I headed out yesterday with one of my friends to Newtown; we did the good old Kilbirne to Newtown route. We visited 5 stores but I only bought things from two. That never happens, usually with me I am lugging about 6 items up to the counter and hoping I have enough money.. The two stores I did buy from were my two favourite stores: opportunity for animals and St Vinnie’s. I got some amazing bargains. In total on everything purchased I spent $14.00 which is nothing! In Vinnie’s I got two books, two bags and a top all for $9.00. That’s crazy!

I am going to assume if you’re reading this then you have probably seen the photos above, if so you may have noticed the bizarre titles of the books. I have a confession. I have no real intention of reading these books. I bought them purely for decoration my room with. Not looking so intellectual now am I? I think that there is something beautiful about old books, with their hard back covers and illustrative detailing.  But that could just be me? I am a sucker for all things old, I just think they have a charm about them and the quality is second to none. Sorry china but I don’t think your mass production is that impressive?

Also, just a random little story; as we were heading to Newtown down the motor way there was a crash. Thankfully I didn’t see anything because we were too far back but traffic came to a standstill and the motor way was closed so we ended up having to back up the motor way to the nearest off ramp. It was totally bizarre? I think that is probably the only time in my life I will ever experience going down a motor way backwards. I have to admit; it was kinda fun.

Anna 


36 comments:

  1. Hehe, 4 days is better than giving up straight away! :P
    The books are so pretty, heck, I'd probably use them just for decoration too! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe it when i found them, they are some of the best i have ever found! SO beautiful. I think its the pattern and colours?
      Anna

      Delete
  2. Aw, it's a shame you're not going to read the books. They look like a great find!

    http://meine-schadenfreude.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if it makes you feel any better they are really random books like : teach your self a new language & a book of plays?
      Anna

      Delete
  3. Thanks for stopping by. I hope the sun will come and visit your place soon (: I really like the way you write, it just makes me wanna know more. And about the old books, I think you should read them hehe. You never know. And until then, they'll look great in your room! xx

    Would you like to follow each other?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, me too! Winter gets so boring!

      Delete
  4. lovely photos, I like the composition! so preettty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I try in put a lot of effort in to my photos, for me they are one of the most important parts of a blog.
      Anna xx

      Delete
  5. Those old books are so beautiful! I love having old, material-bound books in piles just for their aesthetic value. The patterns on them are so lovely!

    I can't believe I lived in Newtown for so long and didn't ever visit the opshops there, what was I thinking?

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best op-shops in wellington! For me there is something charming about old books? I love them :)

      Delete
  6. such pretty items!

    <3

    ps. you can now win some awesome 4EVER WITH EVERYONE bracelets on our blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These things are too cute not to buy them! This type of shopping does not exist in Italy, otherwise I would probably be addicted...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a shame! Its sad, but i am honestly addicted! Its a great pass time :)Thanks for the comment x

      Delete
  8. So cute! Wish you a lovely Sunday sweetie!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi! love your blog! :-) I hope we can follow each others blog..let me know :-) I'd really be glad :-) articles0naddiction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great finds!!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your comment. Let's follow each other? =) I'm your new follower since now and hope you'll follow back)
    xoxo
    Stacy

    http://tastyrumors.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you, those old covers are so beautiful and charming, great decoration items. You room seems nice, lovely colours; and your style is adorable.

    xoxo

    the109block.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute items! Love the old book covers xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Old books look so cool as decorations, pubs do it all the time, so no-one is judging you! ;P xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. in love with that bag!
    www.adoramehitabel.blogspot.co.uk
    @adoramehitabel

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Anna, thank you for all your kind comments recently! Thrifting forever! The covers of those old books are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. well, i don't think anyone could resist these purchases! and especially at such a cheap price...
    uhh i want all these things - everything looks utterly wowish!!!

    http://cottonmixblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. you have bought some really great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those actually are some pretty cool looking books! I'm actually getting married in a couple of months, so I'm actually looking for things like that to use as decorations at my wedding! :) Those covers really are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  19. your pictures are so lovely! lovelovelove the little crochet bag and the books :) hah, a spending ban that lasts four days sounds like my kind of shopping ban! :)xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like you found some great stuff!! Makes me excited to go thrifting on Tuesday <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. loving the tops!

    xx

    www.aroundlucia.com
    www.aroundlucia.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. ugh im always terrible at shopping bans too- 4 days for me is pretty impressive haha. i love these shots- they're so cute. and the covers are so pretty of those books :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for introducing the term op-shopping to me! I love it, it's so apt.

    Big fan of these bags, excellent finds.

    X

    ReplyDelete
  24. ooh I love those bags! great for summer :) x

    ReplyDelete
  25. These bags all look pretty. We love it!

    Much love from the SABO SKIRT girls!
    SHOP: http://www.saboskirt.com
    BLOG:http://www.saboskirt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I seriously love the covers of those books. I buy old books for looks too, so feel free to confess away. Everything you found is lovely and it only makes them better that they were so cheap. Happy op shopping friend.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your blog has such a cute vintage feel, it's really nice. I like the way you shoot the pics, you make the books and bags look so interesting!



    Amelia @ UGLY DUCKLING xxx

    Come say hey at Ducklingtoswan.com! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. so cool pics and things! i love them, xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...