Monday, 28 January 2013

Holiday snaps + A glimpse in to New Zealand


Finally here they are in all their glory - my holiday snaps! I was a little apprehensive about putting them up right when I got back because I was more keen on just getting back in to the usual routine. Sorry for the wait! These were taken on my holiday a few weeks ago to the Marlborough sounds (in NZ). If you want to know more about it I did a post with all the details and that kind of thing that you can see HERE. Basically annually we stay at out batch (NZ word for holiday home) with my family and I bring up a few friends as well. It’s a small but close knit community that can only be accessed by boat. The sounds as you will see in the photos are made up of islands and bays so it’s the perfect summer get away.



The whole purpose of the sounds is to go away and relax, while I really enjoy it, it probably wont make for the most interesting post – most of the time all I did was swim, lay on the beach, read and eat.. Its not really that grand compared to some bloggers holiday stories but I though I would share a couple of things that happened anyway!









In the middle of our time at the sounds I celebrated my 17th birthday which was nice – who doesn’t enjoy a good birthday? It started off with the first ever bay market where I sold a few painting and made a profit! The rest of the day went pretty hitch free until just before dinner when our neighbors came over and told us there was a fire. In the sounds a fire is pretty scary we are so isolated that a fire crew wouldn’t reach us for at least an hour in which time a fire can travel miles. After a solid hour of fire fighting it was all under control thankfully. There were about 20 of bucketing water up to the fire and at one stage it was 10m high in the air. It’s almost a miracle how lucky we were. If it had been at midnight we wouldn’t have stood a chance, as no one would have noticed till it was too late and on our doorstep. . or if the wind had been going the other way – again we wouldn’t have stood a chance as it would gone straight in to the dry bush. And as If that wasn’t enough later that night we had a power cut and a torrential down poor of rain - admittedly the rain was good for dampening the bush and fire danger.






My brother Hamish and my close friend India
Me and my brothers Friend Brad

 Its kind of pathetic but I am terrified of spiders. Perhaps that’s an exaggeration, I can handle seeing a normal sized/small spider on the wall – that’s no big deal. If its on me though I would probably have a full on melt down. This makes me sound like such a sissy! Haha. As you can imagine, when I felt/saw this crawl down my leg I wasn’t exactly that pleased. After I managed to trap it – the only thing worse than seeing a giant spider is when it goes missing.. My mum even admitted it was quite large. So that’s saying something.


Well done if you made it to the end of this long and photo heavy post! If you have any questions let me know!
Anna xx


4 comments:

  1. So beautiful! I went there for a holiday when I was younger and it was so lovely. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos! It's wonderful that this place is so secluded and I am fascinated by the fact that it can only be accessed by boat.
    You can bet we share the same phobia, I do not like spiders at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay for NZ holiday snaps, i have some coming up on my blog too!

    x

    ♥ Ellen
    SHOPSTYLECONQUER.COM
    Facebook + Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thoroughly enjoy'd this post. Such stunning photographs. This is my sort of holiday, I would never get bored here. I am glad to hear you were safe from that fire, I can't believe how many metres it goes up. We always hear in England of places like Australia who suffer terrible wild fires. By the way I am loving that jumper you are wearing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...