Wednesday, 13 February 2013

We'll take Manhattan







I am going to be honest with you – I am no movie coinsure. I don’t really watch that many movies and its been ages since I have seen a film that I have really enjoyed or been inspired by.  Until I saw this movie - ‘We’ll take Manhattan’. For those of you who don’t know me that well – I don’t run. Ever. But I started to watch this when I was out babysitting and the parents came home half way through the movie so I ran hone (3mins – huge achievement I know!) to see the end. That’s how good this movie is.

The movie shows how David bailey started his career in photography and his relationship with the model Jean Shrimpton. If you really simplify the story line, basically it shows how the editors at Vogue reject bailey and his photography countless times, till finally someone sees its potential. Pretty much It’s the typical story of people refusing change and being so stuck in a rut and they refuse to see the beauty of modern works.

If you have an interest in fashion, art or photography I highly recommend this film. I sound so cheesy but it really is inspirational to see the struggles Bailey went through and how he refused to conform to what the photography and fashion industry wanted from him. He knew what he was doing was ‘fresh’, beautiful and worthy of the top fashion magazine and he was determined to show people this. Personally I feel this is a really important message – as a creative person you constantly get told you wont make it, your not talented enough and that you should have a back up plan. This movie just goes to show what a little persistence and self-belief can achieve.

Before I completely put you off with my heartfelt soppy post, the film also includes a lot of comedy and a really sweet romantic twist as well. Plus its full of lovely 50’s/60’s inspired fashion, hair, make up music – what more could you ask for?

If you have seen this let me know! Anna.

2 comments:

  1. I love this film so much, it's beautifully portrayed. xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...